Thursday, November 22, 2007

Research

I just got back from getting coffee at Italian Coffee Company. I got an espresso and started putting the top on it and accidentally knocked it over all over the front counter. I started apologizing and even helped clean up a little bit and kept saying "Perdon, perdon, disculpame" like an idiot, and NOBODY said anything, not ONE person said a thing, like, it's ok, or, don't worry, or, I hate you... nothing. They just shot nasty looks at me out of the corners of their eyes with their mouths shut in tight little straight lines. The manager lady did ask me if I got burned, but when I said "oh no, not at all, I just feel so sorry that I knocked over that coffee" she averted her eyes and said nothing else. The employees at Italian Coffee Company need a seminar in "How to Make a Person Feel Nice While Buying Coffee and not GUILTY about BEING ALIVE" and "How Feeling Great to be Alive in Italian Coffee Company Promotes Comsumer Loyalty".

OH-- and THEN since everyone was so busy ignoring my empty drink, I asked the girl if she would make me another one, and she said yes, and then the manager charged me for it. and since I was already feeling guilty about being alive and all, I paid.

I forget... but I think in Starbucks or anywhere that sells coffee in the US will get you another espresso if you spill it all over the counter, free of charge, right? I mean, now I don't want to go back there because of the bad experience and the way that the goddamn baristas made me feel all suicidal and all, and for just a smile and a "no problem" and a free refill for being an idiot would have made me a customer for life.

But maybe that was the point. After all, the baristas there don't rake it in, so whats one less troublesome customer to them? Less work, and I don't blame them.

I wonder if it is possible that they pick up on the fact that when I see them I feel sorry for them that they're working at such a shitty job at shittier wages, and the guilt I feel that I'm not working at anything and that I do whatever I want all day everyday. I wake up when I want to and I have no real responsibilities.

Maybe they pick up on that and that's why I get treated poorly wherever I go... perhaps. I did notice that if I act like a bitch I get better customer service, whereas if I treat them nicely I get treated like a bitch. Odd... Needs more research. The Research shows that I'm right, thus far.

1 comment:

Stou said...

Yes in the US you'll get an apology for the lids being hard to put on, and a free coffee.

I dropped a huge late once on the floor of Petes... the manager herself ran out and cleaned it up and they made me a new one for free. I felt sooo bad I kept trying to pay. I also dropped my coffee on the parking lot of Common Grounds, Davis... they also made me a new one.

And Yes, they do know that you feel sorry for them and that you are a spoiled American ex-pat that probably has more change in her italian leather couch than they make in 4 months of grunt-work.

You should have yelled at them for making stupid lids and demanded a new free coffee. That would have worked, apologizing and feeling bad will make them abuse you.