Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Conversation of the Month


I really don't hear that well, in spite of passing all of my hearing tests with flying colors. In India, I've read, people will extract your earwax for a small fee right on the street. It's supposed to be a life-changing and miraculous thing to do. I don't know, but after this conversation with a friend happened this weekend, I think I should have this done.

Friend: Have you heard of White Man Debacle?
Me: It sounds familiar. What is it?
Friend: (condescending snort) I said, 'Would you like a taco'

The weird thing is that "White Man Debacle" really did sound familiar to me, which is strange, so I googled it and found nothing. But anyway, I don't hear that well, and on top of that, I completely lost my voice on Saturday and had to say whatever I needed to say in a whisper all weekend, which taught me a lesson in brevity and how often I say completely unnecessary things. So now, after two months of searching for a New Year's Resolution, I've finally found one. This year, I'm going try my best to stop saying things like

"Oh wow"
"I have that dress"
"Look at the floor, it looks like uneven, it's not though I don't think"
"Kind of but not really"
"CC please find Pippen an obedience school and then take him" (in one ear and out the other)
"It was so funny"
"Im going to go to the bathroom"

which are all things that I said or almost said this weekend in my little hoarse whisper that no one could really hear, allowing me to either repeat the important things or filter out the dumb ones.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds all magical and satisfying and life-changing, but NO. It's dangerous.

A very good friend in my class just had his tympanic membrane reconstructed using scalp skin from behind his ear, after trying to clean his ear canal with a Q-tip as a little kid. He's been basically deaf in that ear ever since, and he'll probably never hear 100%. And now everyone thinks he's weird and perverted, because he's always got to get really close to your face to talk to and hear you properly. In fact, another of my friends thought he really liked her for a while because he was always so close.

Do you want to be him? No.

Don't go sticking things in your ear.

If you're really not hearing so well, especially out of one ear, go to the doctor's and have them irrigate out the wax. It's pretty hard to do yourself.

sixoryx said...

They burst Stou's eardrum AT the doctor's office while professionally extracting ear wax and then made him pay like thousands of dollars of good insurance money for two follow up appointments following that disaster... or something along those lines. But I won't stick anything inside my ears, I promise. Thanks Dr. Philli

Anonymous said...

Oh no -- thank you, Judge Joodie.

Stou said...

The brevity thing won't last too long... (no pun intended) when I was writing my statement of purpose, trying to cram as much information as possible into a short essay, I also realized how many things I say are unnecessary.... so for two weeks I thought through every word before saying it... I am not sure that's true anymore

Oh I am so glad you were finally set straight on the ear-wax in India issue.

sixoryx said...

Yeah, the brevity thing is a dead issue already. You read my post on fish.