Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Books


I read a lot, so here is a list of all of the fiction books I read in 2008:

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards, by Lillian Jackson Braun
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton
City of Glass by Paul Auster
'Tis by Frank by McCourt
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
The Liar's Club by Mary Karr
All the Numbers by Judy Merrill
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks (gag)
King of Torts John Grisham
The Street Lawyer by John Grisham

Trainspotting Irvine Welsh

The Thief Lord Cornelia Funke

Run by Ann Patchett

Running With Scissors by Augustine Burroughs
Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Whatever

The Best Old Book of the Year Award goes to: Tie: Angela's Ashes and Giovanni's Room
The Best New Book of the Year Award goes to: tie: Run and Book of Ruth
The Hardest Book to Read but Totally Worth the Effort Award goes to: Trainspotting
The Worst Book of the Year award goes to: ALL THE NUMBERS
The Biggest Waste of Time award goes to: tie: The Cat that could Read Backwards and ALL THE NUMBERS
The Most Fun To Read Award goes to: EAT PRAY LOVE
Honorable Mention for being a cool book: Power of One

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about "The Thief Lord" by Cornelia FUNKE? Didn't you say that was your absolute all-time fav?

sixoryx said...

I gave that book to Elizabeth... it was more on her reading level. She LOVES Cornelia Funke.

Yvonne said...

Hello! I just found your blog by way of Ex-pat blog. How lovely. I love your post about reading. I am curious as to where you get your books...I live in Toluca, not many books shops there :)

How nice to meet you

sixoryx said...

How funny... I came across your blog this morning. I marked it and was planning on coming back to it later. I get my books two ways: 1. Bookstores: There's a great bookstore here called Ghandi, www.ghandi.com.mx, that has a decent selection of books in English. (I hate reading in Spanish). You can also order any book you want. Sanbornes' carries recently exported bestseller books (I call these airplane novels) if you're into that sort of thing. 2. An expat friend and I have a book share club. Nice to meet you, too!