Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thanks Mummy


I live in Queretaro, the mosquito capital of the world... (not really, but it seems like it). I don't remember Merdead as having PLAGUES of mosquitoes, so my guess is that it's definitely got something to do with being closer to the equator. And the rain. It's rainy season right now, which means that we get a two hour-long MONSOON every night, which is exciting.

We also like to leave our doors and windows wide open all day long because we have a burglar proof steel-gated house and a state of the art alarm system and moat and a ferocious, rabid, killing machine of a yellow lab that patrols the moat's edge, so don't get ideas). Sometimes we come home after a monsoon and find that we've forgotten to close up the house and everything close to an open window is soaked. We'll also find that our house is buzzing with disgusting, nasty, annoying little mosquitoes that loooooooove my blood. When this happens, CC goes into "The Mosquito Hunter" mode, where he climbs on top of furniture and stares at the ceiling with this look of determination in his eyes. His motivation is to kill (by hand) every single mosquito in the house, even though we use those raid plug-ins, which totally work. He just hates mosquitoes that much. I do too, and unfortunately, even with a real live Mosquito Hunter in the house or raid plug-ins contaminating the air from every light socket in the house, sometimes you can't avoid being bitten.

But alas, Mummy came through as she always seems to do and ended my suffering once again, albeit unintentionally. According to a blurb in Women's World magazine, one of the scholarly US magazines that she left me with after her and Diddy's visit last week, if you've been bitten by a mosquito and the itching is driving you nuts, all you have to do is roll some roll-on anti-perspirant on the bite and the swelling will go down, causing the itching to stop completely and immediately.

Apparently, as the Kenneth Haller, M.D., assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University (?) states in the blurb, the aluminum salts in the antiperspirant help the body reabsorb the fluid in the bug bite, so that it can't cause a reaction anymore.

It so works and the application was so much fun that I wished I had more bites to quell. All you do is roll it on and the itching stops after about 30 seconds. I'm actually not sure if you should use the wet kind or the dry kind, because I used both, one right on top of the other. I used the gel one first, and then thought that the powdery kind sounded more "correct", so I slapped some on top of the other one. I'll have to wait until I get attacked again and then try them both on different bites just to make sure.

I just wanted to let people know, because this has been such valuable information to me.


Cheers.

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Chuds . . . I googled around, and -- no, no studies are conclusive or anything, but -- I'd be worried about putting aluminum (and everything else in antiperspirants) on what could very well be an open wound. Just putting it on your armpits MIGHT be associated with increased breast cancer and Alzheimers, so I don't really want to think about putting it directly into your blood. Plus, a lot of them have deodorants in them as well, which definitely won't do any good on an open wound.

If you really are having a lot of itching, you could look into an over-the-counter topical antihistamine. Topically, they really don't ever cause side-effects (though you may see weird warnings), and they'd be more directly treating exactly what's causing the itching. They work for that early (within first few hours) itching.

It does look like in this antiperspirant study, though, they recommend roll-on (vs stick).

sixoryx said...

This post is an example of a symptom of BSS. The need to crush LS dreams and ideas. But FINE I won't do it anymore.

Anonymous said...

(And here I was, thinking I was helping.) :)

Sigh. LSs just happily assume that whatever they do, the world's ~all just gonna come along peachy, good golly.~ Whereas BSs do consider it important to think about the consequences of their actions, on occasion.

But you know what? Just go ahead and try giving your pits and mosquito bites Alzheimers. Everyone knows LSs aren't susceptible to the laws of action/reaction governing the rest of us, anyway. I don't think Carizzol Pittmizzan (who was definitely a little sister?) ever used deodorant/antiperspirant at all, and she GOT Alzheimers. So who knows? Maybe the laws are even reversed for your kind.

Love you, LS. And you know I always wanted to be more like you, right? :)