Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fun with Literature

Today I ran out of books, so CC (who knows how annoying I get when I run out of books) shoved me in the car and drove fast to Ghandi, the only bookstore in Queretaro that has a decent selection of books in English. At Ghandi, I saw 2 books for the price of 1, a package deal for only 149.00 pesos. Which I bought. :)

The two books, Oliver Twist and Trainspotting, came as a set, wrapped in cellophane. At first I thought to myself, "Wow, someone at Ghandi has either got a funny sense of humor or is totally illiterate". But then it hit me- funny, illiterate or just mindlessly doing their job, the person who paired these two seemingly incongruous books to be sold and read together has very appropriately paired two fictional representations of degenerate societies in Britain, the Old vs. Modern, and that makes a whole lot of sense.

No comments: